Sunday, July 13, 2008

Where is my Innocence?


There is a moment in the film Knocked Up where Pete(Paul Rudd) and Ben Stone(Seth Rogen) watch Pete's children playing in the park with soap bubbles. Pete isn't quite upbeat about life and says this about his children:

"Oh God, they go apeshit over bubbles. I mean, that’s an incredible thing about a child. What’s so great about bubbles? I wish I liked anything as much as my kids like bubbles. It’s totally sad; their smiling faces point out your inability to enjoy anything."

There comes a point in our adult life when we gradually lose our innocence and the curiosity of a child because of day-to-day stress and depression. And by the time we realise it, the innocence and curiosity are long gone. This post is a reminder to myself to rediscover the childlike innocence and curiosity with which we were born.

"Backward, turn backward, O Time, in your flight,
Make me a child again just for to-night!"

[from
Rock Me to Sleep by Elizabeth Akers Allen]

No comments: